Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Dinner

Our families Thanksgiving feast! (From top center - below Katherine - clockwise, Rolls, Green Bean Casserole, Turkey, Sweet Potato Casserole, Gravy, Mashed Potatoes)

We do similar for Christmas so probably wont be posting as much about food then, but will focus more on some of the treats we make around that time.

Not detailing all the recipes I used for Thanksgiving. If you want/need more info on something just ask!

The Turkey before it was cut. This was a wonderful turkey breast from the Fran's Fryer buying group I participate in. Robert, the kids, nor I care that much for the dark meat so I do not figure there is a reason to buy it! We put the turkey in a brine over night - Recipe really easy. Water (about 2 quarts) to boil, add course salt (about 1 pound) - I use Frontier, stir until dissolved, add about 1 pound of brown sugar (again I use light brown sugar), stir until dissolved. We put the turkey in one of the big drink type coolers, pour brine over it, cover in ice, add water to completely cover turkey and let it sit the garage overnight. In morning rinse turkey and put in oven - and it comes out like this!

Rolls - they have already been into. LOL Think I posted on these already, but if not just tell me and I will add the recipe. (Not going through all old posts right now as I am getting these up.)

Quick, easy, time needed to rise. Biggest thing is that your hands HAVE to be drowned in cool water to handle the dough easily. Other than that super easy.



Katherine helping put apples, prepared by daddy with mommy advise on substitute for flours and such (just used my sorghum flour mix). Robert prefers McIntosh Apples and I was able to find some in decent condition so that is what these are.






Apple Pie ready to go in oven. I have not tried the crust yet, that was the only new part. I was very hopeful on this one, but Robert said - not that good. So back to drawing board on that one! Still looking for a good gluten free pie crust that is EASY to work with. This one was fairly easy to work with, but taste is important to us... I will keep trying and post when we FINALLY get something successful!




My first cheesecake ever! It was actually easier then I thought. Will me making it more often for sure. Still going to be working on some details, but it was good, although it did split at the top while in the fridge cooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment